Carbon Footprint

footprint banner

User Interface Design: HCDE 455

University of Washington

September 2014 – December 2014

I had a quarter-long project for my HCDE 455 course, User Interface Design. We were assigned a team based off our interest and skills. Our team consisted of 5 people. The professor provided us a project prompt: to design an interface/product/service that will be used in 2020 when everyone will have a budget of how much carbon they can emit, if they exceed that limit, they will need to pay a tax. This project consisted of stages and weekly deliverables. This project helped me practice the continuous design cycle: Problem or Project Characterization → Design → Prototype →  Evaluate

 

Week One: Team Identity

This assignment involved our assigned team getting to know each other, providing contact information, and just assembling ourselves as a team. We created a team name, logo, mission statement, motto, team values.

See the deliverable for this week here – Team Identity

Week Two: Prospectus of Project

This week involved creating a prospectus, Phase 1 of the Design Process. Here, we discussed our team identity, product functionality, preliminary features, target audience/user population, what resources we have to create the product, constraints, and project schedule.

See the deliverable for this week here – Project Prospectus

Week Three: Project Characterization

Week three consisted of the team understanding our problem scenario deeper. We did literature reviews of the study and conducted surveys using Google Forms to research and refine our target user groups. Through this, we were able to come up with potential design issues and preliminary performance requirements, along with some questions and unknowns we had.

See the deliverable for this week here – Project Characterization

Week Four: Persona

We then created a persona to create a user-centered product where we defined a specific target user. A few of the qualities we defined were: name, gender, personality, occupation, hobbies, a day in the life, etc. Additionally, we created a short presentation to briefly present our persona.

See the deliverables for this week here – Persona ,    Presentation

Week Five: Storyboard

To further understand how we want our persona to interact with our product, we created a narrative and a storyboard presentation of this interaction. We knew a few details of our product, such as it being a wearable, but we wanted to know exactly how the product will serve the user before beginning to design the actual interface of the product.

See the deliverables for this week here – Narrative ,     Storyboard

Week Six: Task Analysis

Using the narrative and storyboard from the previous week’s assignment, we created a task analysis which defined three tasks we wanted the user to be able to perform with our product. After defining these tasks, we broke each task into steps and created a flow chart of how each task should be accomplished through our product. These tasks were then combined to create an overall system map.

See the deliverable for this week here – Task Analysis

Week Seven: Flipbook and Field Test Report

Using the system map, we created a paper prototype of our interface. This was the first time we started to design our product’s interface. We met for several hours creating the paper prototype, combining the prototype with an app called Pop, and creating an outline and script to conduct field studies with the paper prototype. As a group, we tested the product with five users, unfortunately due to the constraint of time, we were unable to test the product with users that matched our persona exactly. We recorded their findings and created a presentation to reveal the results to the class.

See the deliverable for this week here – 1st POP Prototype,   Field Test 1 Report Presentation

Week Eight: Mock-Up and Field Test Report

We then took those critiques, discussed them, revised our interface, and made the prototype digital. During this week, we also created a physical prototype for the band portion of the product, using a 3D printer. Again, we conducted field test studies with this new prototype on Pop and presented the results to the class.

See the deliverable for this week here – 2nd POP Prototype ,   Field Test 2 Report Presentation

Week Nine: Final Presentation

We again used those critiques to further improve the prototype. After these improvements, we briefly presented our design process and prototype to the class and a panel of accredited judges.

See the deliverable for this week here – Final Presentation

Week Ten: Final Report

We wrapped up the project by assembling a final report, which included a final discussion and review of our successful design, revisions of past documents to reflect the final designs, reflections of the process, a few snippets of our communication, and pictures. This final report grade proved to be very professional and successful, earning a perfect grade of 100/100.

See the deliverable for this week here – Final Report